A Tribute to Karaoke: The Thing I Didn't Know I Needed

You have not lived until you are packed into a very small, dark room with good people, a karaoke machine, a mic or two, a chac chac, a tambourine, some alcohol and nothing but determination to sing the stress all away!

I can tell you it took me 25 years and 2 months to truly start living when I went to my first karaoke lime in August.

I have been craving karaoke since then. That's something I never thought I'd say. At home, going to karaoke never really appealed to me so I never went. What is it that makes karaoke so special? I'm trying to figure it out myself.

Maybe it's the collective energy before you arrive. The build up. Everyone knows that, yes, life may have all its problems but in a couple hours, as those off key notes gush out of your mouth, so will all that stress.

Maybe it's the start when everyone is not yet loose. Still uptight from the struggles of this life and as the songs and drinks keep flowing, the voices keep rising, new moves appear, anxiety and pride are forced to leave. The room is too small for this much pleasure and inhibitions. One must go.

It's probably that part of the night when a song about friendship plays and all hearts melt into one and love covers the room.

Maybe it's the range of emotions. The glee when you see a song that you love, the gratitude when you choose a song but forget the melody and your friends sing it for you, the memories that replay in your mind with each song... Your love for your mother... Your anger at your ex....Your hope for the future or pride in your achievements...

Maybe it's the returning home when you've sang all there is to sing and felt all there is to feel and your mind feels free and you feel cleansed. Stress-free. Relaxed. Happy.

Maybe it's the entire experience...
How could something so simple be so amazing?



Life is short. Go do karaoke with your friends today. Here is a perfect playlist and list to start with:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/the-50-best-karaoke-songs-ever


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Textual Analysis of Sam Selvon’sThe Cricket Match

Okinoshima Dream

My Greatest Challenge