The ULTRAMARATHON: Okinoshima's J'ouvert


I've only been to J'ouvert twice in my life. Once in Maraval with my Aunty Deborah when I was about 15 and in Curepe last year with my nephew (mainly because I wanted to see his reaction).

I've tried to describe J'ouvert to people who aren't from Trinidad and Tobago but I'm never satisfied with the words that I manage to force out.

I try to explain the historical context and the modern day celebrations but, to me, it falls flat. (This same thing happens when trying to describe doubles. "Doubles is life" is by far the only definition of it that we acknowledge).

Some things you just have to experience yourself.

So, if you told me last year that the Okinoshima Ultramarathon would remind me of J'ouvert then I would say that that seems impossible.

After all, how could a 5 to 8 hour run (INSANE) around an island be similar to a ---

It starts with the anticipation. People prepare for these events as soon as the last one is finished. Musicians work on their songs. Designers work on their costumes. Masqueraders work on their bodies and finances. Runners work on their bodies. Organizers organize. It is the event of the year. It is the topic on everyone's lips.

"Yuh playing mas?"

"Will you run this year?"

Then, it flows into the comraderie during the event. Anyone would tell you that some of their fondest memories of Carnival would be reveling with complete strangers. Everyone unites in the pursuit of a good time.

It's similar for the run. People line the streets and shout "Keep going! You can do it! Good luck!" at passing runners. People stand at their windows and cheer on runners as they run through the village. Everyone unites in the pursuit of accomplishment.

The similarities feel the most salient after the run, though. Runners are celebrated and their pained limps as they return to work the next day is a badge of honor. Similarly, the paint on the bodies of the masqueraders hours and sometimes, days, after the J'ouvert unites them and acts as an identifying badge.

It's interesting how even in the midst of our differences, there is so much similarity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Textual Analysis of Sam Selvon’sThe Cricket Match

Okinoshima Dream

My Greatest Challenge